Slowly, slowly, bit by bit, I’m adding links here to some of my favorite things – keep checking back! For a quick fix, check out my blogroll on the right sidebar, which has links to friends’ blogs and blogs of people I don’t know that I’m still completely addicted to. I’m not going to re-list all of those here though – only non-blogroll links below!
Have I mentioned I’m a bit of a nerd? I read some comic books. I also read some comics published on the web. Below is a list of the ones I love passionately and never miss.
- C’est La Vie
- Octopus Pie
- Punch an’ Pie
- Questionable Content
- Scary Go Round/Bad Machinery
- Something Positive
Other Internet Loves and Time Wasters
I spend a fair bit of time on the internet. My husband might say I’m an addict. It’s possible. Regardless, here are some more things I love on the internet that don’t quite fit into the blogroll or webcomics categories in my mind.
- Big Fish Games – I love these kinds of computer games. I have a subscription. I will list the games I’m addicted to in another grouping below.
- BookMooch – book swapping site
- delicious – I use this to mark EVERYTHING I find on the internet that I don’t want to forget. Recipes, furniture I want to buy some day, gift ideas – it’s phenomenal.
- Facebook – I really shouldn’t have to explain this one.
- Gmail – my email site of choice, which I have decorated in a NINJA theme and which collects and keeps all of my email from several different accounts (and lets me send from all those accounts, too)
- Goodreads – a social network/book review site
- Google Reader – my RSS feed reader of choice
- Indeed - I am constantly trying to find my husband a new and better job. I am best friends with this site, which aggregates job listings from just about everywhere.
- Interview Project by David Lynch - David Lynch is weird. He traveled around the country one summer and intereview a bunch of regular people he found on the streets of America. Some are really nice. Some have sad stories. Some are batshit crazy. It’s pretty awesome.
- Joe’s Goals - Very simplistic, but I like the way Joe’s Goals works. For goals that you want to achieve on a regular basis (every day, every week day, every Monday, whatever) it’s very satisfying to go check off that goal for the day. I believe I’ve said I’m a chronic list maker?
- MeanDawg - My favorite movie podcast. OK, it’s the only one I listen to. And I may be a bit biased because my husband is one of the main players. But if listening to a bunch of drunk buddies laugh and argue over such topics as “Top 5 Movies That Were Better the Second Time” and “Top 5 Movies That Scream the ’80s,” then you are assured to have a good time listening.
- ModCloth – Retro and indie shopping heaven, mostly clothing and accessories but some household and organizational items, too.
- Simply Hired – See the listing for Indeed above. Also a job listing aggregator, also awesome, with free bonus salary calculator! Gets most of the same listings as Indeed, but some different ones too so I check both.
- SparkPeople – my calorie and fitness and weight loss tracker of choice, totally free with social networking and blogging incorporated as well
- Sugar Network – a network of a bunch of different sites, each with a different focus, incorporating social networking as well as blogging. I personally religiously read BuzzSugar, FitSugar, GeekSugar, SavvySugar and YumSugar, and I occasionally read BellaSugar, CasaSugar, FabSugar, PetSugar and TresSugar. I rarely or never read LilSugar or PopSugar (or FabSugar UK or PopSugar UK), but if I ever become a mom, LilSugar will go on the “religiously read” list I’m sure. All of these are accessible from the Sugar Network link above.
- Trulia – house-hunting mecca. I love looking for houses that I want to buy but currently can’t because the market sucks and we can’t sell our condo yet. Still, I am an AVID house hunter!
- Woot! – Who doesn’t go to Woot! every day looking for a good deal on something awesome?! If you don’t, you should.
- Zappos – I adores Zappos. Free shipping both ways, the best customer service, sometimes upgrades to overnight shipping, huge selection… Now, if only they’d have sales on Danskos more often, they might part me from ALL my money!
Games I Play
I suck at video games. I always have. But I can play me some Mah Jongg tiles on the computer. I mentioned above my Big Fish Games subscription; these are my favorite games for the computer.
- Azada and Azada: Ancient Magic
- Chocolatier, Chocolatier 2: Secret Ingredients and Chocolatier: Decadence by Design
- Cradle of Rome and Cradle of Persia
- Drawn: The Painted Tower
- Dream Chronicles, Dream Chronicles 2: The Eternal Maze and Dream Chronicles: The Chosen Child
- All the Mystery Case Files games: Huntsville, Prime Suspects, Ravenhearst, Madame Fate, Return to Ravenhearst and Dire Grove
- Plants vs. Zombies
Well, this stuff doesn’t fit neatly into the other categories, and I don’t want to make categories with just one or two things, so here are my other random beloved things.
- All books by Joshilyn Jackson, particularly Between, Georgia
- Mystery novels, but even better are the ones that aren’t so formulaic (see Denise Mina, Kate Atkinson, Carol Goodman, Stieg Larsson, Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett…)
- Danskos (so excellent for we broken-footed people)
- Enell sports bras (so supportive for we large-chested women)
- Mental Floss magazine
- Real Simple magazine
- Good food
- Our produce co-op, Horse and Buggy